and my younger sister(age4)
I have deliberately decided not to open a Twitter account. Facebook takes up enough of my time. I sound like I'm complaining but I'm not. I love Facebook! For someone like me who is just too lazy to keep in touch, Facebook is pretty much God-send. And I Am Addicted!
But what I really hate is the pictures. Lately, everyone seems to feel that their facebook profile ascertains how cool they are. I honestly feel that the novelty of taking pictures has worn off with the emergence of digital cameras, mobile phone cameras and of course, social networking sites.
When I was growing up, picture-taking was something, more often than not, saved for special occasions. Buying camera film was expensive and developing them was a chore. The result was picture-taking was a cherished family moment. My dad, however, was a wannabe Ansel Adams so we got through our fair share of camera rolls!
Even now, whenever I'm back home, one of the things I most like to do is take down old family albums and look at the pictures of my sisters and I posing and preening to our glory. We have shelves full of albums! One for each of us and the older ones of my parents- their wedding, their courtship, their college days, their childhood and even some older ones of my grandparents.
In high school, when digital cameras were a luxury we were yet able to afford, my friends and I took pictures with our bulky Nikons, of events in school, our crushes and just some classic moments. But until the film was over and developed we never got to see the pictures and because we were sure that the pictures were not going to be published online for all the world to see, we were ok being crazy, silly and ugly. No one forced you to delete pictures off your camera because they didn't look good, there were no pretentious pictures taken solely for the purpose of publishing it on Facebook, Friendster, Twitter, Orkut or any other place. Pictures were taken solely for the purpose of creating and preserving a memory.
And I really miss that.
I have deliberately decided not to open a Twitter account. Facebook takes up enough of my time. I sound like I'm complaining but I'm not. I love Facebook! For someone like me who is just too lazy to keep in touch, Facebook is pretty much God-send. And I Am Addicted!
But what I really hate is the pictures. Lately, everyone seems to feel that their facebook profile ascertains how cool they are. I honestly feel that the novelty of taking pictures has worn off with the emergence of digital cameras, mobile phone cameras and of course, social networking sites.
When I was growing up, picture-taking was something, more often than not, saved for special occasions. Buying camera film was expensive and developing them was a chore. The result was picture-taking was a cherished family moment. My dad, however, was a wannabe Ansel Adams so we got through our fair share of camera rolls!
Even now, whenever I'm back home, one of the things I most like to do is take down old family albums and look at the pictures of my sisters and I posing and preening to our glory. We have shelves full of albums! One for each of us and the older ones of my parents- their wedding, their courtship, their college days, their childhood and even some older ones of my grandparents.
In high school, when digital cameras were a luxury we were yet able to afford, my friends and I took pictures with our bulky Nikons, of events in school, our crushes and just some classic moments. But until the film was over and developed we never got to see the pictures and because we were sure that the pictures were not going to be published online for all the world to see, we were ok being crazy, silly and ugly. No one forced you to delete pictures off your camera because they didn't look good, there were no pretentious pictures taken solely for the purpose of publishing it on Facebook, Friendster, Twitter, Orkut or any other place. Pictures were taken solely for the purpose of creating and preserving a memory.
And I really miss that.


im absolutly agree with u..picture had been taken for memorial..thats no matter whether if its crazy or silly..
ReplyDeleteit just for remember that we have been through with friends and family..
do more writing anya,,u re so great
theres no fun anymore if the photos only to see how cool some one
Well yes i would also agree with you ... But then there are the ups and downs of instant pictures you know .... as you said people would have to wait to see how the picture turned out and then it was only much later that they could see how they came..... .well if it was a family vacation .. i would much rather prefer to see the pictures sooner and retake them rather than later you know :)
ReplyDeleteBut then yes there are always pro's and con's
and yeah do continue to write ... nice BLOG ..... shall spread word ....
:)
and thanx for the mention :P