Friday, April 16, 2010

The Price of Being Pretty










There has been debate by some so-called politically-correct people that fashion magazines are a negative influence on today's youth. Apparently, glossy visions of actors and models air-brushed to perfection corrupt young, gullible minds, promote eating disorders, low self-esteem and distorted body images. Some extremists have even suggested we ban air-brushing all together because wouldn't you love to open this month's issue of Vogue/Cosmo/Elle and see Scarlet Johanssen sans make-up with every teeny-tiny imperfection highlighted to be glaringly obvious? (Rumour has it that Britney did recently publish un- air brushed images of herself from her Candie's photo shoot but that's another story) But, seriously is that what you would REALLY like to see?

I love pretty things. Every month, I relish my copy of Cosmo not just for the brand new shiny cover but also for all the pretty people inside. I, for one, definitely do not want to see un-airbrushed images of my favourite celebrities inside my favourite magazines. Just because I read a fashion magazine, I'm not a bimbo. Shouldn't we give enough credit to the human mind to be able to tell the difference between reality and a little bit of "touching-up". If someone cannot look at air-brushed images without their self-esteem being affected, they, my friends have much bigger problems than just low self esteem.

If banning air-brushing alone is going to promote healthy self-esteem among today's youth, why don't we ban make-up as well. After all, doesn't make-up help disguise our "flaws" as well?

Someone once told me I live a charmed life because I look the way I do. From experience, I beg to differ. Being pretty is hard work. I exercise, watch what I eat, take care of my hair and my skin, invest in quality products and spend time every morning putting on my make-up. There are no ugly people in the world, only lazy ones, and if you can't take the time to take care of yourself, then don't bother moaning about how pretty girls have it easy and air-brushing gives people unrealistic expectations. The day your willing to stand in minus degree weather wearing nothing but a bikini, you can start protesting against air-brushing and the day fashion magazines stop publishing these "unrealistic" expectations of beauty, I'll stop reading them.

Hey I like pretty things. I'm superficial. Sue me.

2 comments:

  1. Tell them dear, that if eyes were made for seeing,
    Then beauty is its own excuse for being.

    -Ralph Waldo Emerson, "The Rhodora"

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There are no ugly people in the world, only lazy ones..." Hahaha I liked that line dude!!

    ReplyDelete